Well, Bills lost another heartbreaker this weekend, and here are my thoughts about it:
Except, we all forgot one thing- we are talking about the Buffalo Bills here. Not the early 90s Bills, but the 2010, 0-7 Bills. The team riddled with a horrible, verging on pathetic, offensive line, a defensive front seven that gets mismatched in coverage more than a few times per game, a backfield that forgot how to intercept the ball, and a lovable QB who seems to throw an interception at the exact moment you need him not to. Then, to mix things up, they threw in another facet of the game that everyone forgot about- extra point execution.
Sigh. I want to say that I enjoy these close games, but the truth is I don’t. Sure, it is nice to see the team competing with some pretty good teams. But to me, the 3 point losses are more heartbreaking then the 30 point ones. In the close games, you are sucked in for the entire 60 minutes. You think that the Bills actually have a chance to get in the win column, only to have them find a way to blow it. I am still a fan. I still enjoy watching the games. But once that clock reads :00, it’s just depressing.
Here are a few quick notes about the game:
– I think the “Fitz is the future” talk is basically done. I think he is a great guy, but he is definitely not someone to build the team around. I know I’m just a fan, but Andrew Luck looks like ‘the guy’ to me. (Disclaimer: this statement does not deny the validity/awesomeness of Stoneface’s beard)
– 51 pass attempts + 45 rushing yards = bad. Plain and simple.
– Our offensive line is horrendous right now. Mansfield Wrotto should be over with Daunt Culpepper in the UFL. Geoff and the boys surrendered 12 QB hits this afternoon. That just cannot happen, or else Fitzpatrick is literally going to die on the field.
– What happened to our dynamic running back duo? It was a rough day for F-Jack and Spiller. I know we scored two rushing TDs, but the Bills were basically a
one-dimensional team the entire game.
– Steve Johnson is the real deal. He may not be the greatest athlete with the ball in his hands, but he can catch and he knows how to get open. He impresses me more every week. I hope he doesn’t turn out to be a Jairus Byrd-like fluke.
– Which brings me to the defense. Another 0 INT performance- against a QB who gives out interceptions like they’re Snickers on Halloween night. Didn’t we lead the league in interceptions last year? What happened?
– Our pass rush is not very good. We had one QB hit the entire game, against what some have called the worst o-line in the NFL. Spencer Johnson had a nice little forced fumble, but we have to be better at getting to the quarterback.
– Another game, another TD for a TE. Greg Olsen didn’t have a huge game, but that TD killed us.
– Aaron Maybin. Enough said.
– And of course the season we are 0-7, we decide to miss an extra point. Is there anything that will not go wrong this season?
I think that pretty much sums it up. Detroit next week, and they took the Jets toOT. I really like that team, and I think they can inspire some hope for Bills
fans. They too were winless, but drafted the right people and are slowing making their way back. I think it should be a fun game to watch.
On a completely unrelated note, when is Wade Philips going to get fired? That Cowboys team is a joke right now. I honestly think the Bills would win, and it
wouldn’t even be close. Oh well, guess we gotta just accept the hand we were dealt.