John Smoltz faces the beast that is Rafael Nadal in the last matchup of the round of 32.
- Drafted 574th overall (22nd round) of the 1985 amatuer draft
- 1996 Cy Young Award winner
- Has been elected to the all star game in three different decades
- 2nd pitcher in MLB history to have a 20 win season and a 50 save season (Dennis Eckersley)
- Only pitcher ever to have at least 200 wins and 150 saves.
- Is a member of the 3,000 strikeout club
- To the extent of my research, he is the only pitcher to have won the Silver Slugger Award and the Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award
- Has a career postseason record of 15-4 with 4 saves
- Born on Majorca, a Spanish island. Yeah, you weren’t
- Career singles record: 348-79
- Currently ranked Number 1 in the world (has held the spot since 8/18/08)
- Has won 4 straight French Opens (one of two men to complete that feat)
- Has also won at the Australian Open and Wimbledon
- Won a gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- Nadal’s rivalry with Roger Federer may be the graetest rivalry in history. Nadal has defeated Federer 13 of 19 times
- He is still only 22 years old!!!
Smoltz has been good longer than I have been alive, but Nadal wins this matchup. Yep, thats about it. The field of 16 has been set. It will commence on Monday. Bracket below.